Thursday, August 5, 2010

Day 32: My Last Night in NYC

Dear Readers, I can't believe I am leaving New York tomorrow. Time has flown by so quickly! My last day at work was bittersweet; I know that the end of my internship means that I will be back in Durham soon, which is great - but it also means that I am no longer going to be able to enjoy the perks of city life. I'll be missing 24 hour food establishments, cupcakes within walking distance, stores that can fix anything you have that is broken (including six-year-old iPods), men selling phone chargers for seven-year-old cell phones on the street corners (I bought one today for my old Nokia), and public transportation - just to name a few things. And the food . . . ah, the endless choices! I'll be missing that too.

My bedroom right now is warm, but it's nothing compared to those first few nights. I remember them like they happened last week. It's hard to believe that the heat wave of 2010 was a month ago. I certainly haven't let the passage of time keep me from the fun of complaining about it! ;)

I walked around the neighborhood tonight with Rob, who had come in to have my last dinner with me from Newark, and it was a perfect end to a wonderful month. The people brushing past me as I walked by them had no idea that they might be among the last people to see me out and about in New York for a while. That's the beauty of it - in New York, you are anonymous enough to be left alone when you'd like, but surrounded by enough people to be guaranteed a friend when you need one.

Of course, I am excited to get back to my Duke life - but I have made so many wonderful memories here. I hope you have enjoyed reading about them as much as I have enjoyed writing them here on my blog. Maybe I will start another blog when I get back to school, but I have a feeling my life will be much less interesting when I'm home.

But then again, interesting things sometimes seem to follow me. I guess we'll see! Goodnight all!

No comments:

Post a Comment